Because pork chops were on sale at Price Chopper this week we’ll be having one of my favorite recipes for the Crockpot, Sour Cream Pork Chops. I originally got this recipe from Allrecipes, but I’ve made some adjustments to fit our tastes.
- 6 pork chops
- salt and pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 onion, sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- Season pork chops with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and then dredge in 1/2 cup flour. In a skillet over medium heat, lightly brown chops in a small amount of oil.
- Place chops in slow cooker, and top with onion. Carefully pour broth into browing pan to deglaze. Pour broth over chops and add the wine. Cover, and cook on Low 7 to 8 hours.
- After the chops have cooked, transfer chops to a plate. Be careful, the chops are so tender they will fall apart. In a small bowl, blend 2 tablespoons flour with the sour cream; whisk into meat juices. Put chops back into slow cooker and turn to High for 15 to 30 minutes, or until sauce is slightly thickened. Serve sauce over pork chops.
We serve these over noodles of any kind. Egg noodles are my favorite but it works great over macaroni or spaghetti too. This would be fantastic over rice or quinoa or any other kind of hearty grain as well. Sometimes if mushrooms are on sale I’ll add them in to the pork chops in the slow cooker. I think I’ve added a can of cream of mushroom before too but its not really needed and I’m trying not to cook with condensed cream soups anymore. Have you read the ingredients on the back of those? Scary.
One thing I have not tried yet is just to put the pork chops in the slow cooker without browning first. I love the yummy tastiness from the brown bits deglazed by the broth. If any of you try this with skipping the browning step, let me know, I’d love to know how it turns out.
Here is the original recipe.